Monday, March 30, 2015

Quest for Fire

"Fire was a symbol of power and a means of survival. The tribe who possessed fire, possessed life." - Title Card




The best things about movie watching is watching going into a film knowing nothing about it. I saw this one on Netflix and I've heard about it before, the only real thing I know about it is that it's Ron Perlman's first film. Being bored I decided to watch it, and boy was that one of the best nights I've had in a while. Quest for Fire is one of those rare films (now rare) where is basically a silent film and you're just watching these characters react and act throughout. Amazingly, you understand everything that is going on, and I was blown away watching this film that has no discernible words play this story for me and it was gripping.

While watching this there was a film that kept poking into my head, because it was so similar in the fact that it was about these two animals journeying together and had very little dialogue. So, after finishing this film I hopped onto my computer and searched for the director, and to my surprise it was the same director who directed that film in my head Two Brothers. 

This director, 
Jean-Jacques Annaud, really knows how to make a movie with no dialogue. Every character's action was clear and telling me, the viewer, what was going on. Through their overactive emotions we know their inner thoughts without them actually talking. With the main characters being Neanderthals, it was really interesting watching as they learned on their journey.

Throughout the film we come across three types of humans, ape like humans who ate people, the Neanderthal protagonists, and the more culturally adept painted tribe. Each one shows how humans have evolved. The ape like humans were cannibals and feared the mighty mammoths. The Neanderthals were always learning and decided to befriend the mammoths so they could escape. The painted tribe showed a very early look at culture like pottery and speech. It was just fascinating watching these three very different ways of living interact with one another.

Speaking of mammoths, the animals used int his film was incredible. They had wolves, saber toothed cats, and mammoths. While it was obvious that none of the people were in real danger, or that the mammoths looked like fake elephants with hair all over, it was still amazing to watch those creatures because they had a physical presence on screen. The wolves were snarling and ferocious, mostly in close ups. The saber toothed cats looked like lions with fake teeth in their mouths. Although, this does show the films age it didn't bother me or take me out of the movie.

Another fascinating part of this movie is that I don't think it could have been released/made today. This story is very close, or trying to be as, accurate as they could. There are little clothing and the majority of the cast is naked. We see breasts and once in a while a penis. Mostly butts in the air. We also have rape, in the beginning we see a woman bending down to drink water at a river with her butt in the air, and one of the cavemen comes down and starts having sex with her. Then, we have the whole film basically shot on location. With no dialogue, everyone naked and having sex, and it all being shot on location makes be believe that it is not filmable in this day and age which makes it that much more spectacular.

Film, to me, should be an experience. Something that really strikes you and makes you feel like you've changed somehow. This is one of those movie. My eyes were glued while watching this, I wanted to know what would happen so badly. The acting was fantastic, the shots were filmed spectacularly, and everything about this movie is great. While it may not be for everyone, I believe it should be mandatory watching for anyone who loves film.

A+

No comments:

Post a Comment