Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

"Don't worry, I'm not making the same mistakes again."
                                                                   -John Hammond


The sequel to one of the most popular and well known movies returns to terrify children of all ages. Jeff Goldblum returns as our favorite mathematician who only wears black leather to teach us the meaning of the word "no." Steven Spielberg returns to direct this....sequel. 

From my point of view it seems that a lot of people like this movie, and believe me this gave me nightmares when I was a kid. I imagined a T-Rex waiting for me in the empty hallway as I make my way to the bathroom. Then, I rewatched it recently and was turned off by it. I had mixed emotions. Steven Spielberg, and every other fan, begged Michael Crichton to write a sequel and when he finally did he barely used what was in the book. He took the second island, and the T-Rex baby fiasco from the book, but after reading it I wondered why he didn't adapt any more because the book has so much great tension put throughout. I was actually terrified reading it, so you can imagine my disappointment when watching this again where I see that they are barely on the island, no wonderment toward dinosaurs, and then the third act was basically a Godzilla film? Oh yeah, I was disappointed.

So let me talk about the positives. Just like the first movie, The Lost World  has spectacular chemistry between robotics and CGI. When the T-Rex scene does come on the tension makes you feel like your on the edge with the characters. All the characters were great, even the kid. 

However, I felt that there were so many negatives for this film. While the T-Rex scene was super intense, that was the only on the edge of my seat I felt from the movie. It takes a bit for the characters to unite and go to the island, and when the get their they spend like a day and a half before they leave. While their on the island 80% of the dinosaurs we see are the attacking T-Rex..... you're going to an island of DINOSAURS and you only concentrate on the T-Rex? I want dinosaur fan-service, and although we do get raptors as well the movie is very meat eating dominant. Then we get to the third act, where the T-Rex acts like Godzilla in L.A. (?), at that point it just got so campy and felt like a tonal shift that put me off.

While this film did have its moments, there were just so much that threw me out of the film. For me this is the least likable movie in the trilogy (soon quadrilogy). The tone tends to shift as the film progresses and looking back on the plot of the film it didn't seem like they did much of anything for a two hour film.

C+

No comments:

Post a Comment