Saturday, August 22, 2015

Hitman: Agent 47 Review


"No, you're trapped in here with me, and you just brought me my gun"
                                                                                                         -Agent 47




For video game fans, there hasn't really been a good film adaptation of one. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if there ever was; sure some people argue for Mortal Kombat, but come on, that was terrible. In recent months a lot of people have been saying that the upcoming Warcraft movie will be the one that finally shows people that video game movies can work, but for me I was thinking that Agent 47 will be that sleeper hit that everybody misses and will say that it was really this movie that changed the times.....boy was I wrong.

From the trailers, to the actors, I was really impressed and wanted to see this movie so badly. It opened up really well, lots of crazy action that was super enjoyable, however that went down hill very fast. Before I get into what I didn't like, let me say what few things I did. First off, the action was awesome. It was entertaining, well choreographed, and definitely shows how badass Agent 47 is.Also, I really liked the actor who plays Agent 47, he wasn't perfect, but from what little I knew about the video game I thought he did a bang up job. That was where all the good stuff ends....yeah.

The biggest problem was the script, and seriously people in Hollywood why are you still hiring Skip Woods??? For those who don't know, he wrote the first Hitman movie (14% on Rotten Tomatoes), X-men Origins: Wolverine (38% on RT), A Good Day to Die Hard (14% on RT), and shockingly they brought him back for Hitman: Agent 47 which to no surprise has a 7% on RT, 7 effing percent!! Why?

The dialogue in this movie was horrendous. I can honestly say that a middle schooler could probably write better dialogue. The movie didn't make sense, it kept back tracking on itself; like the main female lead questioning why her father left her, and answering it, only to forget about it and ask him again....to many times I was stunned at how stupid the script was. It tried to make things complex and in turn it made everything boring. What I loved at the beginning was there was still an air of mystery around Agent 47, is he good, or bad? Doesn't matter, he was a badass and I instantly loved him. After that, they completely ruined it by telling everything about his life, trying to show that he was human, or not? I'm not really sure what they were trying to do.

Either way, the script made no sense, I'm not even sure if the writer knew what he was writing. Too many times characters made stupid mistakes, they never properly explained the girls' power, and they nearly ruined the only likable character. When there wasn't any action I could clearly see on most of the actors' faces that look that says "why am I in this movie" "why am I saying this dialogue" and I just couldn't get into it.

The CGI was.....obvious to say the least. When it was action, it felt cheesy and went with it so I didn't mind as much, but the film was trying to take itself so seriously that even the CGI took me out of the movie.

I don't think people should go see this in the theaters. If anything, you should watch it when it becomes rentable or on TV, or just not watch it ever. The only reason I'd say wait until it's out of theaters is only because the action was that good. It's shocking how the action was good, but was far and few between, while everything else failed on so many levels.  This is one of those films that they show in film school to teach people what happens when you have a bad script, I mean seriously they hired the same guy who wrote the original Hitman??

No comments:

Post a Comment