Sunday, August 2, 2015

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation RANT


"That's the wrong door!"
                                           -Ethan Hunt



After Ghost Protocol revitalized this franchise, and put new energy in what I thought was a dead lead, we get a sequel that kinda builds off the seeds of the fourth one. Tom Cruise is once again Ethan Hunt, and he goes on a journey to try and find the syndicate, an evil organization that threatens the world with motorbikes, planes, and really cool stuffs! He is joined by his team, my favorite being Benjy Dunn, and they are pursued by everyone, from the syndicate to the CIA.

 Looking back on this film, and really analyzing it, I have to say it wasn't bad. Ghost Protocol is still my favorite of the series, but as a technical film this was made well. The action wasn't bad, the chase scenes had some interesting angles and point of view shots. The stunts were well done and one of the highlights of the film. The music was good, the comedy was great. I was actually surprised how much comedy they decided to use. But, what I overall hate about this movie is the villain.

He's been built up as the biggest Mother-F around who hides in the shadows and is very strategic. They did the strategic part well, and while I think every great villain should have smarts, that was the only thing about the villain that was brought to the table. He was so clouded in mystery that I just didn't give a damn about him, and in fact I forgot he was the villain multiple times throughout the movie. He didn't have a character, he didn't have an arc, he was just some classic bond villain that when trying to be evil and menacing it just fell flat. He never does anything, he always sends his thugs (the same two people) and while it's called a ROGUE NATION we only see three faces and the others are all hidden by biker helmets. I mean we should have seen a war, and all they use are three people who keep being defeated by Cruise and his team. They say that a great film, with great characters, all hinge on the villain, and this film only proves my point. The writer(s) were so focused on the mystery and the double crossings of spy films, that by not giving the viewer a good villain to hate/love/understand/fear, it's not surprising that the good guys barely had anything to play off of. This was your standard action movie, average spy film, that if you like spy movies and action films then you would like this.

As I stated at the beginning, there is nothing technically wrong with this film, except the villains, but I just had no enjoyment when watching this. The best part was either watching my favorite character, Benjy, or watching that really cool scene in the middle of the film that actually made you feel that the character(s) were in danger. I felt no suspense, no inkling that these characters would make it out with more than scratches (in fact Hunt was wounded at the beginning, what the hell happened to that?)  and the villains were so typical and cliche that I'm wondering why so many people are claiming that this is the best one in the franchise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment