Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Gift Review




This is one of those movies where after I saw the trailer I knew for a fact I wouldn't go see it because it was a stereotypical horror film. Boy was I wrong. In fact, The Gift is more like a psychological drama. Sure there were a few jump scares thrown into the film, but for the majority of it, the film felt very character driven. For those who don't know, The Gift is about Simon, who returns to the town he used to live in, with his wife and plan to start a family. But when stumbling upon an old "friend" from his younger days, Simon and his wife, Robyn, are slowly being psychologically tortured for what happened in the past.

Right form this synopsis your probably wondering, "well isn't that just a low budget horror movie?" and I'd respond with no. Yes it is low budget, but the film really takes it's time for us to like Simon and Robyn, see how they live. Once Gordo enters the picture you start to feel that he's socially awkward, and later in the film your skin is crawling with how much creepiness this dude oozes.

Another reason why I like to think of this as a drama, is that there is no action you would normally see in horror movies. There is no slasher, there is nothing that will get your adrenaline pumping....well there were a few scenes, but ultimately I can totally see some people being bored with this film. It isn't for everyone, and that first half really feels like a slow burn that gets a great payoff that makes you think about the film after you leave the theater.

Even now, hours after seeing the film, I'm questioning what really was up with that ending, because I'd say the ending alone is enough to see this movie. It never gives you a clear answer, nothing is in black and white. So much mystery is surrounding these characters, and you start to wonder just how dark is this story really, because I didn't think it was that dark, but after thinking about it for a few hours I'm starting to pick up on how unsettling and subtle this film was.

And that's also what I had a problem with. There is so much subtlety in this film that I think the script was awesome for not spoon feeding me the information, but at the same time I wish it was just a little less subtle.

All the actors did a great job, and I thought Jason Bateman did a fantastic job. This film really knows how to present a character, and like Shrek, they peel back the layers so that by the end of the film you really see their true colors and you question who you are rooting for.

I think this is a great film to go out with your buddies and feel uncomfortable with, because once you step out of that theater I guarantee you that you'll be discussing and probably arguing the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment