Saturday, June 13, 2015

Bernie Review

"They're making it out worse than it really is. He only shot her four times, not five."
                                                                                  -Townsperson




The plot to Bernie is hard to discuss without spoiling really anything. This film focuses on character more than plot and that is why I don't think anyone would mind knowing that Bernie killed someone because A.) It's based on a true story so you may have already known that, and B.) It's in every synopsis I've read for the film so as you can see it's really hard not to spoil that detail, but at the same time you would assume it is a big detail that a lot of dramatic films like to build up to, but in fact I found it to be a quick scene and focus right back onto the Bernie character.

I will admit that while this film is short, it does feel a tad long. That's not a bad thing though, I really did like how the whole thing played out, but there were times when I was expecting the film to end, because many other films that talk about someone killing someone has it at the end, only to find out that it still has engaging scenes to get through. I think if you understand that when Bernie does kill that person it only sparks the third act, it itself isn't dramatic nor a "wow" reaction ending.

As stated before, Bernie feels more of a character driven story than plot, and I was a bit worried to see Jack Black in there, but he did a splendid job. I can't imagine Jack Black not in this after watching it all. He plays that good hearted neighbor that will support anyone, make anyone's day brighter even if he just met them, and all around he spreads happiness. I was really fascinated in his character, and how he reacted to being incarcerated. You just have to feel for him once the credits roll.

As a film this is shot great, acting is superb, and pacing is great. People who love indie films will love it, and I even bet people who aren't into indie films would find some enjoyment. This film isn't big, it's the type of film that you'd snuggle up in bed, or on the couch, with your blanket up to your chin as dusk settles the sky. Your flipping through Netflix, or any other provider, stumble upon something to just watch and get you through the night, this is what I'd say Bernie is.

I will say that this is a black comedy. It has more seriousness than other black comedies I've seen, but it does have its chuckle moments sprinkled throughout the film.

One thing to understand before seeing this though, is that throughout the film the story is interrupted by people being "interviewed" explaining how they felt about so-and-so and giving the viewer a wider view of how people saw Bernie and his life.

If you're looking for a movie, and your not sure what your in the mood for, I'd say put this on and enjoy it. I think quite a few people will be surprised and maybe have a better appreciation to indie films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment