Monday, June 15, 2015

Jurassic World Review

"Because she remembered where they put it in."
                                                                           -Owen





After many years and inside politicking, Hammond finally got his wish as he passed his dream onto a guy who's sole purpose in the movie is comedy relief, and being cliche, while not being funny at the same time. With the park up and running it has transcended Disneyland/world and become a hot place to go. But sadly, like most people in this day and age, kids don't want to see Dinosaurs anymore. They look at them as if they were looking at elephants....okay what kid wouldn't be excited to see a live elephant in action!!!! But I digress...Anywho, the cliche business lady had the lab cook up something spectacle (okay it was the helicopter owner guy but really they were the same) and so the Indomitable Rex was born! Because Genetics....right? So like the other movies the I-Rex escapes, panic is running amok, and dinos are fighting each other, what could be so bad about that???


Well, it was actually pretty good. I was really nervous for this, because after my initial "get psyched" phase after watching the first trailer it dawned on me that a lot could go wrong with this film. For starters the director only did one indie film before directing this, the trailer showed a ton of CGI that I wasn't impressed with, and the story was just something I'd heard or read a hundred thousand times before. To my astonishment I really liked this. By no means is this a great movie, but it did what it was supposed to do and delivered a good popcorn summer movie that people would love to see on a weekend.

Warning: Spoilers ahead!

I loved that they were putting more dinosaurs in the park, real ones not genetically created new ones, but I will admit they didn't showcase them that well. The giant water dinosaur you see in the trailer is really 80% of it's screen time, and even the cool things like the dino petting zoo for kids was barely shown. It's called Jurassic World, and it built itself an amazing place that I would have loved to explore. Hell people were kayaking with dinos in the river! How freakin' awesome is that? But they only showed it through a pan. A lot of the cool stuff I would have loved the film to showcase and made it feel like a magical place was pretty much just panned over. There was a constant theme of corporate overrule, and while that's okay it just didn't show any 'wow' or 'magical' aspect of the park that the first one did. The first one balanced the corporate and amazement, but in this we get mostly cliche corporate poking their ugly head in.

Another part I had problems with was that they favored showcasing the character a lot, and while I thing that is a good thing, I barely cared about anyone in this entire film. Chris Pratt might have been the only human I liked watching on screen. They even had this subplot about two brother (one being a math genius while the other stares very creepily at girls) who's parents are getting divorced, and once you watch the movie their whole purpose was just to get Chris Pratt out in the field and go on a hunt. The kid's did not need to be in the movie much to my sadness, because what they could have done was show the wonderment at going at a Dino-resort, but nope...

Thankfully the CGI was much better than I thought it would be. There were times where I thought it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good as the rest of the film, but for the most part I was really impressed. On the other hand, I do wish they mixed a little more animatronics in there since a few scenes have actors staring up and their eye lines are just not matching up that well to the CG Dinos.

What you should know is that this is a good dinosaur movie, but it did not feel like a Jurassic Park movie. In fact it was more a monster movie, especially that ending fight, than a JP movie, which is good, but again it just means that it's a notch less than I would have liked it.

Is the story cliche? Yes. Do you care about the characters? No. Are there Dinosaurs and do they fight? Yes and Yes, and let's face it this is the true reason 70% of the people came for. And the fights were really well done. I was skeptical at the ending fight thought, I thought the T-rex had too many wounds to push the I-rex back. I was also disappointed that the I-rex had the camouflage ability (which is amazing!) but they only used it once. They could have done some serious tension building on that alone, but what are you gonna do?

Ultimately, this is a great turn your brain off and shove popcorn down your throat monster movie. Don't go in there expecting it to be amazing, go for the Dinos and Chris Pratt being awesome with raptors. This is a good movie in a great summer for movies, the only sad truth is I believe this summer will be amazing for movies so this will most likely be quickly overshadowed in the next few weeks, but based on it's stunning box office opening weekend alone something tells me everybody saw it by now haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment