Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Mr. Nobody Revierw

"What did I do to deserve this?"
                                                  -Nemo




This is an artsy film, once you finish it you are left dangling in the space you inhabit, wondering what the hell you just experienced, whether it was bad or good. Not everyone will like this, and with a running time close to two and a half hours some may even be bored. I think the biggest problem with this is that it's a few films in one, and I can't even imagine the hell the marketing division must have had with this.

The first hour, hour and a half, is strange. You don't know exactly what you're watching. It starts in the future with the last 'mortal' man turning 120 years old. From him, and a 'doctor' that resembles Ben Kingsley in Ender's Game, we get flashbacks. Flashbacks that start to alter and contradict what was previously shown to us. As we get through more of the film the basic theory comes to mind: Mr Nobody is telling his life in three timelines, each on what would happen if a small incident occurred altering his life for better or worse.

The reason why I feel this is a marketing nightmare is the fact that the first half of the film is Mr Nobody growing up as a kid and a teenager experiencing love for the first time. In essence the first half of this film is a love story, which I wasn't expecting because I watched this on Netflix under the genre recommendation for Science Fiction....

After this, it gets a little more confusing at what is and what isn't. We see Mr Nobody's life as he turns into a young man with his various possible wives and kids, and how he dies in almost every timeline.

There is a Sci-Fi subplot, mostly for one of his wives, but Sci-Fi isn't but is (haha like the plot!) this film's genre. The best way to describe this movie is if The Usual Suspects and Predestination had a baby, but not exactly if that makes sense.

I felt that on a technicality scale this film is great. The actor, even the child actors, are great. The cinematography is good, the transitions are astounding, with the effects very good. But, with the first half of the movie mostly with the younger actors and I just didn't feel attached to the characters. It felt more like I was watching them and going on the ride.

If anything I'd say this film has a message, one that they pretty much tell to the viewer by the end, but it's a film that feels like one that you would tell and converse with your friends or people online because there are so many avenues you can go down and debate on what was actually Mr Nobody's life.

For me this was a mixed bag, I am really glad I watched it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It is on the artsy side and you should watch it with a sophisticated mind, It's not for everyone, but it is worth a watch if you are really into film.

B-

No comments:

Post a Comment