Friday, June 12, 2015

Spy Review

"I  AM SO BADASS!"
                                        -Susan Cooper




When all the agents in the U.S. spy agency have been identified there is only one person ready to take on the evil cliche villains who holds a deadly nuke, and that person is Malissa McCarthy.

Now, I'm not one to go out of my way to see a Melissa McCarthy film, but when it's rainy out and I am bored out of my mind having film withdrawal you kinda have to say "why not" and dive right in. I expected a mediocre comedy where I'd chuckle a few times and say "yeah that wasn't bad, but I'll never see it again," and to my surprise I came out thinking "yeah I'm glad I saw that once, but I'll never see that again."

Right off the bat the film establishes itself by saying it's not only a comedy, it has action chops and I'll have to agree and say the action is well done. There are a lot of cuts, and not as many close up action cuts, but for the most part the action was standard and pleasing to look at. The comedy starts to trickle in as we learn about McCarthy guiding an agent through the evil doers house. After her agent dies and exposes the rest of the agents back home, McCarthy comes up with the cliche idea that she will disobey her superior, attack the organization in a ridiculous way and yet still take the enemy down.

I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of McCarthy's character for most of the movie. It wasn't until after half way when she starts being a badass bitch that I'm like "okay, now your doing something interesting" The only comedy and interesting characters were the supporting ones. Jason Statham has some of the best comedy lines with over exaggerating the feats he can do, I was laughing so hard whenever he was trying to be badass.

The comedy wasn't bad, but a lot of it was extremely mean, basically shitting on the McCarthy character. I did feel that it went a bit too far a few times, but I guess there is a limit to how many movies you can make fun of a fat person.

The plot is cliche and predictable, but the journey at least has some enjoyment to it. I went in with low expectations and came out with more enjoyment than I ever thought I would have from a film like Spy. If you have no movies to see, and you're dying to go to the theaters why not check this out. It's not the best, but it will pass your rainy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment