Friday, January 1, 2016

Top 10 films of 2015!

The time has come again for the best/top 10 films of the year! Right off the bat I know my list will be drastically different from everyone else's, but that's what makes it fun :D After you go through my list you can comment below on why you agree or disagree, and hopefully share your list as well. Without further ado....



10. Kingsman: The Secret Service


This film was just balls to the wall fun. Vaughn puts another great film under his belt, and as a person who doesn't have any interest in the spy genre, he made this film lots of fun with heartfelt moments, an uncharacteristically awesome villain, and action scenes that really made people psyched to start the new year!

9. Southpaw
While this movie doesn't have the most tight of plots, and the script when looked at is a bit of a mess, what pulls this movie into the limelight for me is the acting. From Gyllenhaal to Whitaker, and even the little girl, the acting was so much better than this movie deserved that I didn't even notice the story problems the first time I watched it. The second time I watched it I saw them, but it didn't matter because these actors transcended that story and made me feel so much for each of them that I really stopped caring about technicalities. That with the awesome shots and crazy boxing scenes are what really propelled this into my list.
8. Sicario


From the director of Prisoners and Enemy comes his most brutal film yet, Sicario. This film does not pull any punches as you get to see the dark side of humanity. Both from the U.S. Government, and how the drug gangs practically own, at least in parts, Mexico. The interrogation scenes are brutal and sometimes hard to watch, but the scenes are shot and crafted in a way that you can't look away. The film focuses on scenes and makes the viewer feel dread and any other awful feeling that you can feel when witnessing these harsh, yet totally realistic atrocities.

7. Beasts of No Nation

Like Sicario, Beasts of No Nation is a really great film that's hard to watch. I was skeptical since it was a Netflix original, cause I'm not a big fan of Netflix original programming, but I was pleasantly surprised. With a cast that has mostly kids in it I was shocked how invested I was into their stories, and how great the kids are in this film. By far this is one of the hardest films I ever watched, but it was definitely worth watching at least once.

6. Spotlight

Based on true events, Spotlight deals with a newspaper investigative team in Boston trying to shine a light on priests abusing children. This film does a fantastic job in slowly revealing the facts. As the film goes on you realize just how scary this situation can be, and just how messed up it is. The performances were off the charts and this is definitely a film that will stick with people. But I think the most horrifying part of the film was when it listed every city on the planet where priests have been caught abusing children, and that I think will shock a lot of people.

5. Ex Machina

I've been hearing about how amazing this film was all year, and after watching it last night I can't believe it took me so long to do so, because this film is incredible. From the acting, to the special effects, to the script, just about everything was amazingly done in this film. As the film goes on more questions start to arise, but I think the ending was probably the most shocking, because not only was the film about a man trying to see if an A.I can pass for human, but it's about the A.I. trying to pass for human against every viewer.

4. Mad Max Fury Road

This is really no surprise I guess. Practically everybody who has seen this movie has loved it, and I'm one of them. The stunts are grand, the action is like injecting adrenaline into the viewers body, and the film uses color in such a great way. As my first Mad Max film this was a joy and an event that you can really only experience in the theater. (for more information on my thoughts check out my review)

3. Inside Out

Pixar does it again, what can I say? This film was thought out so much that every little detail amazes me. In fact, this film brought out my inner child so much. Thinking up how the mind looks like to a kid, and watching that thought process breakdown and build itself up again was so astounding that this film really is aimed towards grown ups more than kids, surprisingly. Both will get a kick out of this, but I think grown ups will get more emotions from it, because we've been through everything that's shown on screen.

2. Steve Jobs

Wow. Just wow. Michael Fassbender knocks it out of this galaxy with his performance. The writing was so refined that I wanted so much more when the credits started rolling. I really wouldn't have minded watching a nine hour version of this, but with what we did get I'm perfectly satisfied. As someone who doesn't really  know anything about Steve Jobs other than the fact that he made the ipod, this film fascinated me so much and made me interested in something that I never knew I'd be interested in.

1. Mr. Holmes

Wait, what?? I bet I lost a lot of people with this, but the more I thought about my top ten list the more this made sense. I was surprised too, but I absolutely love and adore this film so much. It takes an interesting twist on the Sherlock mythology, and created a fascinating case for the world's most famous detective who at the age of 93 is losing his memory. Out of all the films I saw in 2015 this is the only one that my mind keeps going to, wants to keep watching, and experience time after time. It's well crafted, well acted, and ignited my passion for this character ten fold.

Well that's my list. Hope you all liked it. Comment your thoughts below and share your list too!

No comments:

Post a Comment