Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Revenant Review


The Revenant is directed by the same guy who won the Oscar for best picture last year, Birdman, and while I've never vocally said what I thought about that film I will say that I wasn't as much a fan as everybody else, however, The Revenant is such a huge step up that I was truly shocked how long it captivated me throughout its two and a half running time.

I know everybody has already said this, but I'll just reiterate, this film is gorgeous. With the exception of some night time fires the whole film was done with natural lighting, and the fact that they were able to make a whole movie this way is not only astounding, but a big pain in the ass. This film has definitely made me a fan of Alejandro G. IƱarritu, and made me give him the utmost respect since this was probably a very complicated film to shoot, and I'm sure patience was one of the biggest reasons this film was made.

Now, what really took my breath away, aside from the cinematography, was the fact that this whole film practically takes place outdoors, and they take every opportunity to show you just how big the frontier was. This gave a huge impression on me on how this wasn't just a revenge story, but it delt with lots of nature. Like the sea, the Earth is a harsh mistress that is full of beauty, but populated with very dangerous animals. The film could go from one scene that's utilizing the natural beauty around them, and then switch on a dime to how brutal nature can be when taking this space for granted.

In the trailer they showed Leonardo DiCaprio being attacked by a bear, but I never realized just how realistic it looked, and how brutal it really was. This bear was protecting her cubs, and like any bear attack it was vicious. She went all momma bear on DiCaprio by standing on his head, slashing his neck, biting into his back, and giving him so many awful injuries that it's amazing he survived. The bear attack wasn't the only brutal part about the movie though, everything that had to do with violence was realistic, and cringe worthy (the good kind) to the point where you believed these people were in serious pain and and experiencing these atrocities. The film doesn't shy away from these awful acts, and in no way are they glorified in the film. When two men fight they fight to the death. If anything, their passion is what's driving the fight and they just happen to be losing limbs and blood. The violence is just there, and I think the fact that the film isn't focusing on that (like in close ups) just makes that whole ordeal that much more dramatic to me.

While Leonardo DiCaprio is getting lots of praise for this movie, and people are saying that he most likely will win the Oscar for this, I have to admit that I found Tom Hardy to have been better in this film. I really don't know what it is about him, but he's been kicking ass in 2015, and you can tell that he worked his butt off on this film. Actually, I think this is my second favorite Tom Hardy performance, the first being Bronson, and I was surprised at how much I loved his character and watching those nutty screws and cogs start to whirl inside his head.

I really do consider the Revenant to be an epic, and it's backed up with stunning performances, masterfully crafted filmmaking, and a scope that's so big that I'd say it's a disservice not to see this in theaters. The whole movie is just grand, and I'll probably go out again to see this just so I can see it on the big screen once again. It's one of those films that feels like an event, and I think everyone going to see this, whether they liked it or not, would all admit that it was definitely an experience.

The Revenant may be a simple movie, but when you peel back the curtain you start to see just how complex this was to shoot, make, and still pull off a great movie. Acting is superb all around, and you get lost in not only the performance, but also the environment as it sends the characters through a nurture vs nature type of journey that only gets more and more delicious as the film goes on. This is one to see in the theaters at least once, and I certainly have changed my mind about this director since Birdman. I expect great things to come from him in the future, and I'll be here waiting with bated breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment