Friday, October 2, 2015

Top 10 Classic Monster Movies!

It's October, and what better way to celebrate than to make a list of my top 10 favorite Classic monster movies. For those who don't know I actually had a blog before this where I only focused on monster movies. I love these types of movies and I can't wait to see what all you guys think and maybe even read some of your lists. So without further ado let's get started!



10. Invisible Agent


I wasn't a fan of the first two Invisible films, mostly because they were super crazy, but I thought the Invisible Agent is an interesting idea into a not so enthusiastic property. I surprisingly really liked this and found it interesting that the grandson of the original Invisible Man decides to use his family's serum to fight in WWII, rather than be depressed with his grandfather's bloody legacy.

9. Frankenstein meets the Wolfman

I went into this film thinking it would just be a long fight between two of the most recognizable monsters, and I was pleasantly surprised to find this as a continuation of The Wolfman and Talbot's tragic story at trying to find peace in the afterlife. It's definitely a little slow, and maybe not what everyone would want, but I thought it was a great step forward for both the Frankenstein and Wolfman properties.


8. The Invisible Woman

I really liked this film. It's witty, it's funny, and all around a film that I think a lot more people should check out. I feel like this film really just wanted to say that it had a naked woman in it, and the way they got around it was by saying she's invisible, but I can definitely say that this is my favorite film from the "Invisible" franchise, and check it out.


7. Revenge of the Creature
Sequel to Creature from the Black Lagoon, Revenge takes the next big step in the Creature's super tragic life as people hunt him down, drug him, and chain him into an aquarium so he could be a spectating attraction. The Creature is one of the most tragic characters I have ever scene on film, and this was just another great installment in his trilogy. Also, I'm a sucker for underwater shots so that had a part in my pleasure.

6. The Creature Walks Among Us
Like I said above, people just can't stop messing with the Creature! The first movie had people invade his peaceful home, the second one had them tear him from his home, and now this one shows us the men, accidentally, setting fire to the Creature while invading his home and giving him such severe burns that his fish half perished while his human half kicked in to save him. Now he has to live with the fact that he's human for the rest of his life, tell me this isn't one of the cruelest stories you've ever heard, because my heart goes out to the Creature.



5. Phantom of the Opera

Like others on this list, Phantom of the Opera really surprised me in how much I loved this film. Is dramatic, it's musical, and above all it has some really great comedy. It actually incorporates real Opera for a good chunk of the film and to my utter amazement it didn't bore me, in fact it only drew me into the film even more!

4. Frankenstein
When I first watched this movie it took my breath away. I instantly thought that this was the most perfect movie ever made. It's definitely the most Iconic movie ever made. Boris Karloff stuns in his amazing portrayal of ??? as he is listed in the credits, or more commonly referred to as The Monster. This film really escalates in people's perspective on the unusually and really showcases why this is one of the most cherished monster movies ever made. You'll be blown away from The Monster's daring actions with the little girl being thrown into the water to the fire encased windmill, definitely a must watch for everyone.



3. Bride of Frankenstein


After watching the first movie, and accepting how perfect it was, I never thought that Bride would even touch the same level, but after I watched this movie for the first time I knew I witnessed something great. Bride only extends my love for Frankenstein's Monster and really showcased what great filmmaking is all about. Personally I prefer Bride over the first one.

2. The Wolfman
The Wolfman, is there any reason I need to say more? From the special effects and make-up, to the gut wrenching story, The Wolfman stands tall as probably one of the best monster movies ever made and one of the best werewolf movies ever made (although An American Werewolf in London might just be the best for me). I love rewatching this movie every year, and every year my heart breaks and cries and wilts as I'm living through Talbot's grisly legacy.



1. Creature from the Black Lagoon

This is my all time favorite monster movie. When I first watched it the cinematography just took my breath away. The underwater scenes are incredible, and to think that they were able to achieve that in the mid 50s is just stunning to look at. I always look at the Creature as the most tragic monster, and this is basically the most simplest story and the best for screen, because essentially Creature from the Black Lagoon is a Beauty and the Beast story, but with water, and it's done so well that I'm enchanted every time I sit down to watch it.


So that's my list, let me know what you guys thought of it, and maybe even include what yours would have had because I know I left off some major classics. As some of you who have been reading my blog for a while may have noticed, I haven't been reviewing movies as much now. The reason behind this is because I actually was invited to write movie reviews for a new website called outloudculture.com and it's been a blast writing for them. My next review for them will be out tomorrow about The Martian, and I'll also try to write up some reviews on my backlog of the last few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment