Friday, July 17, 2015

Suicide Squad Trailer Impressions

Check out my thoughts on one of the most risk taking superhero movies!



For those who don't know, the Suicide Squad is built upon super villains who are in jail, and they have to perform tasks for the government to reduce their sentence. If they step out of line a bomb in their neck blows up and poof, so do they.


What I love about DC is that they are putting this as their third film in their universe, and only comic readers would really know this material. And at the same time, while I love the fact that they are trusting this as their front runner, it also gives you a deeper look into the world of the DC universe before hitting the solo major players films. And by god do I love this trailer.

What stand out from this that no other comic trailer really shows, is that it looks like this is a super character moving piece. We see shots of the characters being crazy, shooting, and talking a good game, but ultimately it has that feel that when we sit down to watch this we will be given great characters, possibly character development since David Ayer is directing, Which brings up another question, what is this film rated? Now, there have been R rated comic book films, but nothing attached to a universe (yet, Deadpool will be the first R rated film in a PG-13 universe with Fox and the x-men). I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think David Ayer has created a PG-13 movie, and with the subject matter I'm not sure how you could make this PG-13. Sure they could, it's been done before, but this feels like a mature film, with mature characters. Heck, at the end of the trailer Joker looks like he's torturing someone.

Speaking of Joker, this is the first time we get to see Jared Leto's take on him and by god does this make me excited. Right away you feels something familiar about him when he laughs off screen, but when he's on screen you can tell that not only does it seem that he will be terrifying, but he very well could beat Heath Ledger's Joker. That doesn't mean Ledger's was bad, but I do think this could be the Joker everyone goes to for the next decade.

Overall there isn't much to talk about, but this trailer is great. It keeps the tone of the Man of Steel and BvS movies. And I said this in a previous post, but Suicide Squad will probably be the most important DC film to start off the universe. They're bringing in characters you would never have thought would be in films, they're going to kill a good chunk of them, it's a film all about villains. I think this is going to be great, I would love to know what others thought of this trailer. And while I'll love BvS, something tells me Suicide Squad may be a better movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment