Friday, July 17, 2015

BvS Trailer Impressions

Click to see what I think about the new BvS trailer that was released for Comic-Con!



So before I began I'd like to apologize to readers for not posting for a while. To ease myself back into the routine I'll be doing trailer impressions of Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad. After that I'll be posting at least once a week, whether that will be a film review, or a film topic. So without further ado, I'll link the trailer and then talk about it.


Man of Steel divided audiences and fans alike. I was one of the few people who liked to loved it, but ultimately Man of Steel was the first film to give us a glimpse into the new DC Universe. Now, whether you have problems with the lighting, or the actors, or really anything, you can't deny that this trailer is insane. It shows so much to hype us, and yet it still has its cards held closely to their chest.

This trailer brings everything we want into a superhero DC story. This is a Batman we've never seen on screen before. He's older, angrier, and looks like he's stronger than any Batman that's ever been on the screen before. When first cast a lot of people didn't like Ben Affleck as Batman, I liked it, but again no one really knew what he would do, and at the end when Superman rips apart the batmobile and Batman stands up it's amazing how much presence Ben Affleck has on screen. I love Henry Cavill as Superman, and he really embodies him, but with Ben Affleck on the screen you feel his menace emanating off his body.

It does look like this film is taking inspiration from the comics, particularly The Dark Knight, and with Zack Snyder it looks like the cinematography is heading back to his Watchmen days and if that's true I can't wait to watch this on the biggest screen I can find. The cuts are quick, but some of the angles and zooms look like they really bring out the epic this film can hold.

What I'm surprised is the fact that we saw Wonder Woman and Kryptonite in the trailer. I didn't think Wonder Woman had a big part in this movie, but I did appreciate watching her in action, even if it was for like three seconds. It's not enough to judge her acting, nor would it be fair, but from the looks of it I think she's a good Wonder Woman. She has that presence and I could see her standing with Superman and Batman, acting-wise we'll just have to wait for the movie to see because I don't think she did much and I can't remember her in anything.

Then we have Kryptonite, and not just Kryptonite, but Gerneral Zod's body. Wow. I'm not sure where to even beging with these. First off, I have no idea what their going to do with Zod. Is he going to be resurrected? Is he going to pose a threat or is his body going to help Lex Luthor? I don't know, but it definitely adds another level to the film.

Then we have Lex. And again, I know it's not fair to judge people from a trailer, but out of all these characters I think Jesse Eisenberg has to really work the hardest. Everyone wasn't exactly sure what his take on Lex would be, and he's stated that he hasn't read the comics to prepare for the role, he wanted to just make it a character as his own. But what really scares me is that when I think of Lex, I think of a calm, calculated, deep voiced badass, whereas Jesse is a fast talking, squeaky character actor. When the film does come out, he has to impress me the most because I'm pretty satisfied with everybody else in this film.

Overall, this trailer gives you great small glimpses of what's to come, with Superman delving into the court systems, Batman running into falling buildings, Wonder Woman possibly fighting Batman and Superman, a cameo of a Robin costume (first robin since the 90s!!) that appears to be Jason Todd, this trailer just gave us so much and looks like a lot of promise for the future of the DC universe. I can't wait for this film, it's going to be one of the biggest films in history, or at least comic book movie history, and this just supports my faith in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment