Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Thor

"I need a horse!"
                           -Thor





Once upon a time, like just last week, I thought that Thor was my favorite Marvel movie period. And in a way that still holds true, but while I adored this film when it came out, rewatching it I noticed that it definitely has some faults.

First off, like every Marvel movie,  the actors were stellar! Chris Hemsworth does a fantastic job at channeling his inner god and even standing against Anthony Hopkins as Odin was one of the best things this film offered. Every character (not on Earth) was great, funny, awesome, and totally worth watching. Actually, thinking back on this film there really was a lot of characters.

The best part about this movie was that it was fresh and away from Earth. We had two Iron Man films and an Incredible Hulk all set in realistic Earth, so it was spectacular watching gods fly around and journey to mystical worlds. The frost giants, their pet, and all the alien creatures were great to look at, and really branches out the Marvel universe.

Unfortunately, one of the things I did not like about this film was the tonal shifts. The movie is great during the Asgardian storyline, where we travel to worlds and there is action, adventure, and bravery. But, when Thor gets to Earth the tone shifts to full on comedy. While I'm not hating on the comedy, it's very sad to see the majority of his time on Earth just doing funny stuff. They had a few good ah-ha moments for Thor, but there wasn't as much as I would have liked.

Loki is probably the best actor in this movie, just because he had the most character development. Also, we feel for Loki and therefore he is the first fleshed out marvel villain (to go onto bigger roles in the future *cough*Avengers*cough*)

The fight scenes were great, Thor was a badass, the extent of how much they made Asgard big and lavish is impressive enough. I mean Oh My God(!) I'd love to live there, you really believe that Asgard is the place of guards. Odin's throne is regal as hell and just their tables and dinning wear is a spectacle.

Another complaint I have with this film are about the human characters. Except for the old scientist, Eric I believe he was called, they really served no purpose to the story. Jane literally met Thor, fell in love, and he accepted. That was her character arc. Her intern was only there to make jokes, and really if you take them out of the movie it would have been better.

While not the best movie during the Earth scenes, Thor excels at giving fans a new look into the Marvel universe and pulls out the scope on how powerful beings are out there, setting up S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers. Even though I don't love Thor as much as I did when it came out, I would still rate it in my top 5, if not my top 3, Marvel films.

B+

No comments:

Post a Comment